Sunday, March 2, 2008

3-B has landed!!!

Attendees: 3-B & Peanut
Cocktail: Sangria
Appetizer: Cheese (Parano) and crackers
Main Course:
Vegetable Tagine with Moroccan Couscous

Dessert:
Caramel Croissant Pudding

3-B and I have been the closest of friends since the day I was born... and I mean this quite literally. And just when I thought the girl couldn't get any smarter, she's found another way to do so for a month in DC. Naturally, I wouldn't have her stay anywhere but with Peanut and me, and we welcomed her from Brooklyn with a tasty Moroccan-inspired vegetarian feast!

Alright, so sangria isn't really Moroccan, but it's from Spain, which is right next door! And this version, with lemons and oranges muddled with sugar, cognac, and Cointreau, was delicious!

Peanut and I actually have a tagine, care of L.L., so 3-B and I worked together to test out a vegetarian version. Potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, and turnips seasoned with cumin, saffron, allspice, paprika, and ginger with a vegetable broth base....

....served with couscous (made with vegetable broth, shallots, toasted pignollis, and dried cranberries).

And of course I had to make dessert. A little bird told me that 3-B's current favorite dessert is a caramel bread pudding. It took me two tries, but the final version was a delicious way to welcome 3-B to DC!

Served with ice cream, we swooned over dessert (as Nigella told us we would in her recipe)!

3-B is an amazing cook herself, and I'm eager to learn all of the vegetarian tricks up her sleeve. Anyone coming over in the month of March is truly in for a treat!

No comments: