Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Peanut Day


Attendees: Hon & Peanut
Cocktail:
Fresh Whiskey Sours (made with Jameson)
Appetizers:
Blini with creme fraiche and dill
Main Course:
Irish stew with Irish brown bread served with spinach salad
Dessert:
Stout Floats

Hon was an instrumental component of my graduate school experience. She started off as my T.A. and ended up as the only person who would grab a beer with me at 11 pm on a Tuesday night. So when she came to DC for a conference, I MADE her stay on the inflatable bed in our den and have dinner with us on Monday, which just happened to be ST. PEANUT DAY!!!!



I wore green.

So, in the last picture I was chopping up some dill to serve atop blinis, along with some creme fraiche. Hon enjoyed them.

I made Irish stew, served with some stout and store-bought brown bread. I think that the lack of Irish restaurants in the world is probably due to the fact that Irish food lacks an essential component- namely, taste.


But I did learn a new dinner party trick- get your guests to toss your salad.


Stout flouts start with a tablespoon of stout syrup, which is essentially simple syrup made with stout (e.g., Guinness) as opposed to water. Add one scoop of vanilla, one scoop of chocolate, and then another bottle of stout and you've got yourself a tasty Irish dessert.


That even got Peanut's St. Peanut Day approval!

No comments: