Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sheik: Old Man

Attendees: L.L., Sheik, Bean, Dolly, & Peanut
Cocktail:
Fresh Whiskey Sours
Appetizer:
Gougeres (cheese puffs)
Main Course:
Filet of Beef with Bearnaise Sauce, Potato Gratin, Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Dessert #1:
Apple Crostata
Dessert #2:
Coconut Macaroons

My eldest brother Sheik turns 36 on March 2, so I decided that we'd celebrate his birthday a bit early. It was also Bean's first night out in her entire (3-month) life, so I had to make it extra special. The cocktail was my favorite: Ina Garten's Fresh Whiskey Sours (enjoyed here by Sheik). I swear, I could drink these all day.

The gougers were a bit deflated, but who can tell from this aerial shot? I think I'm slowly getting the hand at making Choux Paste- the baking strategy is another story. Plus, they were all gone by the end of the night, so at least they tasted good!

Frank Stitr's recipe for potato gratin was so good!

Peanut set the table.... nothing but class when you come to dinner at our place!

I fell in love with Bearnaise sauce the first time I had it (at a restaurant in a tree in St. Maarten, circa 1988... for real). In my first attempt, I got the flavor, but I didn't get the consistency that I like. Maybe next time.

Sheik loves coconut, but Dolly and Peanut hate it, so I had to make two desserts. Coconut macaroons and....

My first crostata (apple). This is what it looked like before I put it in the oven...

And here's how it came out (don't you love the Pride candles Peanut found?)!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHEIK!!!

2 comments:

Rosie said...

I'd RSVP to Rajeev any day of the week! When are you opening in Chicago? Tony was just talking about you - saying, "Rajeev is really the best. He's like the greatest guy ever." And I couldn't agree more. Love you, Rajeev! The pastry bag is your friend. Embrace it.

Annica said...

Love the blog! And love the desserts! Little bean is one fabulous looking cutie. Looking forward to reading more of the RSVP2Rajeev!!!