Sunday, March 30, 2008

RSVP On the Road: Lewiston Part I



Attendees: Pit, Lyn, Andre, L.L., Al, and...



Attendees (Cont.): Belle, Gop, Peach, Beet, and...



Attendees: Pulum, Dolly, Bean, Sheik, Curl-y, & J.F.
Cocktail:
Drinker's Choice (I missed Peanut, so poured myself a vodka martini)

Appetizer:
Shrimp cocktail, baked brie

Main Course:
Filet of Beef, Roasted Rosemary Potatoes, Caesar Salad, and Peas

Dessert:
Princess Cake, Key Lime Pie, and Custard Puffs


While Peanut stayed in D.C. studying (except when Cliff, George, and Sparkles took him out for dinner Saturday night), I drove up to my hometown of Lewiston, N.Y. with Sheik, Dolly, and Bean to spend the weekend with my parents (Pit and L.L.) and my other brother and his family (Gop, Peach, Belle, and Beet). Since the 10 of us weren't enough, my mother of course invited her cousin Lyn, Lyn's husband Al, and son Andre, for dinner, and Pulum, Curl-y, and J.F. joined us for a very special dessert.



Even though Peanut wasn't there, I think I was able to create a pretty nice ambiance.




Simple, but classic.



The topping is a caramel, cranberry, and walnut mixture that was store-bought, but delicious. I guess you can cut corners every now and then.



I prefer to cook my filets in a 500-degree oven, but the kitchen was getting smoky and I had to compromise. Still, it looks perfect.



The Canadian part of my heritage enjoys their steaks well done. L.L. and I prepared a separate filet for them.



Who eats steak without potatoes?



Belle turns 3 next Saturday, so we celebrated early with a Princess Cake, which was angel food cake that L.L. trimmed, Dolly "constructed", and I decorated! Not quite as fancy as what Rose can create in Chicago over at Simran Bakehouse, but we did pretty good!



And it was a double birthday, since my brother Gop's birthday is tomorrow! We made his favorite: Key Lime Pie.



And to accommodate those who didn't want either, we had Dicamillo's custard puffs on standby (if you aren't from Niagara Falls and haven't had baked goods from DiCamillo's, you just don't know what you are missing).

A great visit home, and I'm already missing Belle, Beet, and Bean, but I am glad to be home again with Peanut (and away from the snow)!



No comments: