Sunday, January 2, 2011

Roasted Chicken: A "Perfect" Sunday Night Supper

I know that I have been on hiatus for a while and to be honest I thought maybe RSVP was dead. But I was amazed over the holidays about how many people (read: two, one of whom was my mother) told me that they were upset that I stopped posting. So, I am back... with Peanut in tow.

Returning to the blog isn't a New Year's Resolution, but I have decided to bring the new year in with a new year's goal. In between writing my novel and learning to play acoustic guitar (resolutions I've had every year since college), starting today my goal is to roast a chicken by a different recipe every Sunday night for the rest of the year. Of course, I'll cook other things that I'll try to remember to photograph, and take pics and make up nicknames of all of our exquisite dinner party guests, but for 2011 it's all about the roasted chicken.

I started it off with a recipe that was a bit on the strange side- chicken in milk. It's Jamie Oliver's recipe, and you essentially brown the chicken on the stovetop in butter and olive oil, then cook it in the oven (375 for 90 minutes) with 2 cups milk, 10 cloves of garlic, the zest of two lemons, some cinnamon, salt, pepper, and sage. I served it with leftover mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.

In the pot:



On the plate:


My one sentence description: Moist, but a bit boring (but very easy to clean up afterwards).
Peanut's one sentence: Light and citrusy, adding new life to leftover mashed potatoes.

So, stay tuned for more exciting photos & posts this year, and LOTS of roast chicken! If you have a favorite roast chicken recipe, or one that's been passed down in your family for generations, send it to me and I'll try it out!

3 comments:

ap said...

so happy you are back! I have missed living vicariously through your cooking :)

Anonymous said...

I am happy you are back too! Would love to be a guest at one of your dinners! HNY!

Nubia said...

I'm happy you're posting again!

I gotta say....roasting a chicken freaks me out! I love to cook, but a full chicken is terrifying to me. I always overcook it because I'm scared of salmonella! LOL. I really should get over this fear!