Sunday, March 22, 2009

One Year Younger



Attendees:
Gop, Peach, Belle, Bean, Sheik, Dolly, Beat, Nico, & Peanut

Appetizers:
Chips and Dip

Main Course:
Lobster Rolls (Hot Dogs/Mac & Cheese for the little ones; Italian Sausage for Peanut!)

Side A:
Spicy Sweet Potato & Celery Root Fries

Side B:
Old-Fashioned Carrot Salad

Dessert:
Birthday Cake (White cake with white chocolate frosting)

Take-Home Dessert:
PB&J Bars


My brothers are born one year and a few days apart, so I decided to host them and their families over for an early dinner (to accommodate the little ones)-joint birthday celebration! And what better way to celebrate springtime than a trip to the fish market!




This is DC in the spring, however, which means that every weekend there is some sort of marathon or festival or walk-a-thon that closes roads- and makes chores that should last 30-minutes take an hour and a half. But, I suppose, the lobster rolls I served made it worth the effort!



I've been dying to try celery root, and when I saw Sunny Anderson make spicy celery root and sweet potato fries, I decided that I had to make them, too, and they proved to be a great accompaniment to the rolls.



The scene-stealer, however, was Ina's old fashioned carrot salad, with pepper to add heat and pineapple and golden raisins as fun, sweet surprises!



Some of the guests, however, preferred other options:



I busted out the "Baked" cookbook again because I really like their way to make buttercream. The "White Out" cake is a white cake with white chocolate buttercream. I even used a pastry bag to add some elegant decorative touches.



And so that they had something sweet on Sunday, I sent everyone home with some baked comfort: Ina's PB&J bars!



It was hard to get a picture of everyone, but here is a bunch of us, without Dolly, Bean, and Peanut (who was taking the picture)!



HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOP AND SHEIK!

No comments: