Monday, March 30, 2009

Even Canadians Get Old... er



Attendees: Peanut, Sparkles, George, Mountie, Cliff, Baker, and Eliza (who took the picture)
Cocktail:
Champagne!

Hors d'oeuvre:
Olive bar

Appetizer:
Cheese Fondue

Main Course:
Devil's Chicken Thighs with Mustard

Side:
Braised Leeks

Dessert:
Chocolate Fondue


When Mountie told me it was his birthday, I was aghast. I can't believe that Canadians get old. Well, I guess it's up to me to make sure they do it gracefully. And what's more graceful than a Sunday night dinner party with a main course from my new favorite,
Sunday Suppers at Lucques?

Eliza came over early to help me prepare and with our hors d'oeuvre, an olive bar featuring olives and my new favorite red peppers (this coming from someone who doesn't even like peppers)! But we didn't get a picture!
(Coincidentally, K-Dog and her family came over for brunch on Saturday and I forgot to document the entire meal! I guess I was just too excited to see her)!

Back to Mountie's dinner: We did get snapshots of the rest of the meal, beginning with the cheese fondue appetizer. For some reason, I thought it would be something Mountie would enjoy, which he did.




For the main course, I made devil's chicken thighs. To make, one marinates thighs overnight in some vermouth and fresh herbs, pan fries them to brown, rubs them in a mustard and herb base, covers them with fresh bread crumbs, and bakes on top of the braised leeks (below). Peanut told me that they exceeded his expectations. Anyone who knows Peanut knows that that's about as good a complement as you can expect!



My new favorite way to prepare leeks: braised (they don't look pretty but they tasted damn good)!



We all decided that Baker had the prettiest plate:



And to take the meal full circle, I served chocolate fondue for dessert.



HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOUNTIE!

P.S.: I almost forgot! It was one of my colleagues birthdays on Friday, so I made a dozen of Ina's chocolate ganache cupcakes to help her celebrate!


No comments: