Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Hotlanta Housewives!





Attendees: George, Peanut, Cliff (and via satellite, Sheree (yuck!), Lisa, Deshawn, Kim, and NENE!!!)
Cocktail:
Water in a wine glass

Appetizer:
Homemade pimento cheese spread with crackers

Main Course:
Chicken and Sweet Potato Orange Dumplings

Side:
Salad

Dessert...
was a disaster! I tried Paula Deen's Lady and Sons peach cobbler, which was a complete and utter failure, so we had ice cream sundaes


I was turned onto The Real Housewives of Atlanta a bit late in the season- what a delicious train wreck! Having no shame, and inspired by Anderson Cooper, I started telling other people about my love of this show and to my surprise I found many closeted fans, ranging from gay bartenders to child health policy researchers! When George told me he was a fan at lunch the other day, I knew that he and Cliff had to come over for the reunion special!

I served water in wine glasses, in honor of our favorite housewife, Nene.



I went totally southern, and for an appetizer made homemade pimento cheese spread care of the Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook. This entailed roasting a red pepper in the oven, which is one of my simplest, but most rewarding, culinary experiences.



The stock for the chicken and dumplings was flavored simply with onions, carrots and celery. Instead of potatoes, I again turned to Lee Bros. and used their recipe for sweet potato and orange dumplings, which seemed appropriately seasonal.



There's nothing like the smell that escapes from a pot in which you had just browned chicken when adding wine:



George was really excited to take pictures that I would post. Here is his snapshot of the main course, chicken and dumplings:



My sister-in-law, Peach, is from Georgia and her grandmother always made her chicken and dumplings with creamed corn for her birthday. I decided not to go the creamed corn route (it was a Tuesday! I didn't have time) and kept it simple with a simple salad.



No, here comes the disaster. I tried Paula Deen's "Lady and Sons Peach Cobbler." I made my own self-rising flour by combining baking flour, baking powder, and salt, but it just didn't rise to produce a crust (Peanut had even offered to go buy me the flour, but I thought I'd be economical). It was a disaster that I had to throw away :( Thank god George and Cliff are so forgiving.



Besides, we had ice cream, Hershey's syrup, Reddi Wip, and maraschino cherries. Combine all of the above and Voila!



Now, who do I have to contact to ensure Nene gets her own show? She deserves better than to be stuck with Kim and Sheree in Season Two.

1 comment:

Vergie Bridges said...

Sorry about the cobbler. Maybe Northeast Cooking is more your style. ;)