Saturday, October 25, 2008

Diva Dinner

Everyone's in town to celebrate Bean's First Birthday and Baptism!!! So Peanut and I invited three divas over for dinner: West Coast Diva (Kim), Mountain Time Diva (Nico), and East Coast Diva (L.L.).



Pit came too.



Attendees: Peanut, Kim, Nico, L.L., Pit
Cocktail:
Fresh Whiskey Sours
Appetizer:
Wafer Crackers with Stilton
Main Course:
Chicken and Waffles!
Side:
Brussels Sprouts Lardons
Dessert:
Mixed Berry Pavlova



Fresh whiskey sours are my favorite cocktail by far. However, it's somewhat of a laborious process to make them "fresh"- they require 1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice (along with 1.5 cups of whiskey and some sugar syrup, too).



Peanut took a lot of pride in his "tablescape"- he even ironed the napkins!!!



Soon we'll get sick of Stilton, but until we do you will have to continue suffering from pictures like this...



But now for the fun part: Fried Chicken! Can you believe I tried it? Actually, you only fry each piece for around 3-minutes to get the crunchy coating- then you bake it in the oven. Fried chicken is my favorite dish ever, and I even surprised myself with how good it turned out. That said, when we were cleaning up last night, Peanut told me I was only allowed to make it once per year, which is probably good for multiple (e.g., health) reasons.



While some might pair fried chicken with coleslaw or mashed potatoes, I decided to take my cue from Harlem and pair it with waffles, made fresh with the help of Debbie's waffle maker!



Since we were serving the chicken and waffles with maple syrup, we needed something bitter to accompany it. Brussels sprouts lardons was perfect- the bitterness of the brussels sprouts cooked with salt and golden raisins and garnished with pancetta!



The perfect dinner plate!



And for dessert, another one of my favorites: mixed berry pavlova! A disk of merringue smothered in whipped cream with raspberries, blueberries and strawberries tossed in a triple raspberry sauce.

But, let's not forget who's the true diva this weekend....



HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY, BEAN!!!

No comments: