Sunday, September 20, 2009

We've Come A Long Way, Baby!



It seems like forever ago that Shobhaa and I lived in a run-down apartment on Dorchester Avenue where our kitchen was lined with cereal boxes and "cooking" for me involved heating up microwavable chicken wings (Shobhaa was a tad more adventurous with smoothies and, on at least one occassion, potato leek soup). She and Dre surprised Peanut and I with a last minute trip to DC this weekend, and I was more than happy to cook them a lacto-vegetarian (no eggs, but dairy is ok!) meal. Of course, I recruited Shobhaa, who has her own fabulous baking blog, to help:



Attendees: Dre, Shobhaa, and Peanut
Cocktail(s): Fresh margaritas and non-alcoholic peachy-keens
Appetizer:
Fresh guacamole

Main Course:
Vegetable enchiladas

Side:
Jicama and Mango salad with a chili lime dressing/Rice

Dessert:
"Boy, you better make her" Almond raspberry swirl!


The night called for two cocktails: One non-alcoholic, and one for Peanut and me. Peanut requested one of his favorites: fresh margaritas. Shobhaa and Dre enjoyed my newly named "Peachy Keens" - a homemade concoction of freshly squeezed orange juice, peach nectar, and a dash of some freshly squeezed lemon juice.




Really, how can you go wrong with homemade guacamole? I ran out of Tobasco, as did Whole Foods, so I used Cholula Chili Garlic Hot Sauce. Consider me converted.



I had been craving enchiladas for some unknown reason, so I spent around an hour Saturday morning looking for the recipe that looked best (and easiest). Like always, when needed, Martha Stewart is there for you. For real, such amazing enchiladas stuffed with corn, black beans, spinach, and cheese with a simple homemade enchilada sauce of tomato paste, vegetable broth and cumin. I liked these so much, in fact, that I have decided to post the recipe after this entry: only the second recipe ever to be posted on RSVP!



The enchiladas were accompanied by a jicama, mango, and cucumber salad with a chili lime dressing.



And you can't have a Mexican-inspired meal without a little bit of rice on the side.



Dinner is served!



I didn't have much time to prepare an eggless dessert, so I decided to try Ina's Almond Raspberry Swirl. Basically, it's greek yogurt with some orange zest, peach nectar, vanilla, and honey swirled with toasted almonds, rasperries, and diced peaches. The crowd seemed to like it, but I think it's more of a breakfast/brunch dish than it is a dessert. It does look somewhat elegant, though!



Martha Stewart's Vegetable Enchiladas

Ingredients

2 T olive oil

2 (ok, i used 3) t cumin

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1/4 cup tomato paste

1 can (14.5 oz) vegetable broth

salt and pepper

3 cups grated pepper Jack cheese (I used "Fiesta Blend, which includes pepper Jack")!

1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained

10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

10 oz frozen corn kernels, thawed

6 scallions, thinly sliced

Tortillas (I used 12- the recipe called for corn tortillas, but i used flour ones instead)


1 . Make Sauce.
In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon (I added 2) cumin, the flour, and tomato paste; cook, whisking, for 1 minute (for me, it formed a ball). Whisk in vegetable broth and 3/4 cup water (it took a while for me to fully incorporate the clumpy ball of flour and spices into the liquid). Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook slightly until slightly thickened, 5-8 minutes (um.... I kind of got distracted and it went for 10-15 minutes). Season with salt and pepper and set aside.


2. Make Filling.
In large boal, combine 2 cups cheese, spinach, corn, scallion whites, 1 teaspoon cumin, salt, pepper. Mix well.


3.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil two baking dishes (she says to use 8-inch squares, but I used the 9*12 glass ones that I use make lasagna).


4.
Stack tortillas on plate and wrap in damp paper towels. Heat on high for 1 minute.


5.
Top each tortilla with 1 and 1/2 standard ice cream scoops of filling, roll them up tightly, and arrange (seam side down) in dishes.


6.
Sprinkle enchiladas with remaining cup cheese, and top with sauce.

7. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Cool 5 minutes, garnish with green scallions (if you remember) and serve.

Next thing you know, you'll have some pretty happy dinner guests (Dre, Shobhaa, and me)!




Shobhaa & Dre: Come back soon!!!

2 comments:

Rosie said...

As if you hadn't already outdone yourself with the dinner, you've outdone yourself with the posting.

LOVE IT and you and peanut to bits!

Nubia said...

I'm so jealous....this looks delicious!