Saturday, September 5, 2009

Dog Sitting Dinner




Attendees: Peanut, Debbie, & Vixen
Appetizer:
Spinach Dip Duo with Pumpernickel

Entree:
Tomato and Corn Pie

Side:
Mixed greens with Parmesan Crisps

Dessert:
Peaches in Sauternes


We suspected that the "adult reception" immediately following the ceremony meant that puppies weren't allowed, so we were pressed to decide what to do with little Bindi for the night? Luckily we've got friends like Vixen, who enthusiastically agreed to spend the night and look after our little girl. To show her the ropes, and offer our thanks, we had her over for a vegetarian feast. And since I was making a veg dinner, I invited Debbie to join our soiree.




You can't, and don't need to, make everything you serve at a dinner party! Peanut bought a pumpernickel loaf from Firehook and two kinds of spinach dip from Whole Foods. I went 70's suburban (my favorite genre) and carved two holes in the loaf to create a fun way to serve.



My very simple salad: mixed greens with red onion and cucumber served on a homemade Parmesan crisp ....



Since I was so busy at work, I was a bit trepidatious about making the tomato corn pie from August's Gourmet. But when Deb said it was easy, I decided "why not?"! Now, I'm a beginner so I did try to do as told and rolled out the biscuit pie crust between two sheets of plastic. The top and bottom plastic wrap stuck to each other, so for the top half of the pie I took Deb's advice and simply rolled it out on a floured surface, which was much easier.



Mine did not look nearly as pretty as Deb's, but I imagine it tasted just as good. YUM!



And given that it was a biscuit pie crust, I thought it best to keep it on the light and juicy side for dessert. I served peaches in Sauternes, one of Peanut's favorites.

No comments: