Sunday, December 14, 2008

Grad School Gaggle



Attendees: [Peanut], Ayopie, DJDoubleD
Cocktails:
Pomegranate Cosmos

Appetizers:
Pepper and Gorgonzola Bruschetta

Main Course:
Dinner Spanakopita

Side:
Caramelized Shallots and Salad

Dessert:
Pumpkin Roulade with Ginger Buttercream


Thank god a year didn't go by without having Ayopie and DJDoubleD over for dinner. These are some of the coolest cats on the planet: Ayopie helped keep me sane during my grad school stint in Balmer, and DJDoubleD has helped keep me sane in DC ever since I moved back! I love having these two in my life, and what a perfect time to celebrate!


Preparation for tonight's dinner started mid-day with some feta:



That was incorporated into the filling for the spanakopita (a fun main course for a vegetarian dinner party)!





But, I'm getting ahead of myself. We started with a delicious bruschetta (no tomatoes AND gorgonzola? Count me SOLD!)



For a side, I thought I would try something different. The Contessa's caramelized shallots won rave reviews.



I love the taste of pumpkin, but actually don't enjoy the consistency of a pumpkin pie. So, when I saw the Contessa's recipe for a pumpkin roulade, I though: why not? It did NOT disappoint- this should be the new holiday staple! A special shout out to DJDoubleD, who was an integral part of the the presentation.



L.L. sent new place mats to Peanut for his birthday on Thursday (stay tuned)! They were immediately put to use.

No comments: