Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Year of the Pig?

It's actually the Year of the Rat but you wouldn't think so after this summer! On Saturday, Peanut and his siblings threw a labor day picnic at the shore, making it my second pig roast of the summer and, perhaps, the second pig roast of my life. But we'll get to the pig in a second.

They asked me to make a sheet cake, but how does one decorate a labor day cake? I decided to send off summer with an ode to where I enjoy it most: the beach. A chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting for the sand, homemade butter cream for the sky and clouds, blueberries for the ocean, and topped off with candy chocolate shells and a lemon candy sky:



The pig, named after one of Peanut's brother's ex-girlfriends:



Peanut and his siblings talk a good talk, but when it came time to carve the thing, they relied on me and a neighbor.



Good bye summer! It was a blast. But I'm thinking that old age and homemade butter cream may be getting to my waist. So while I put away my Barefoot Contessa and break out the Cooking Light, I leave you with some labor day party pics to bring summer to a close:



Two of my favorite Stone Harbor gals.



Mountie came to the beach with us, and was responsible for blowing up the palm tree.



Mary Kay came up from Orlando (with Peanut)- SO CUTE!



Peanut's youngest brother (and the party bartender) likes his parrot on his left shoulder.



Peanut's other brother gets tackled.



Once a club kid, always a club kid.



The house that made it all possible, and site of many more labor day parties!

2 comments:

Aman Chaudhary said...

That cake is pretty inspired!

Rosie said...

Though you do the classic berry flag so well, this was a very clever solution to a party on the beach! Where on earth did you find a realistic looking soy pig?